Why Choose Solstice Over a Summer Camp for Troubled Girls from Iowa?
Summer camp might sound fun, but Solstice is more than just a relaxing few weeks away from your home in Iowait’s a transformative experience that can change your daughter’s life for the better.
Solstice is located in Utah, but we help teens from all over the United States.
While your daughter is enjoying all the traditional excursions of an ordinary summer camp, she will be guided by qualified, dedicated and passionate therapists who can help her overcome daily obstacles, which will allow her to return home with better means of managing the stresses of everyday life. Many of our girls have significant traumas that we help them overcome during their stays, thanks to this same talented staff of counselors and therapists.
Furthermore, Solstice’s accredited academic curriculum assures that our students don’t miss a beat in their education while staying with us. Many of our students are college bound, and we provide them with college preparations, including tutoring for the ACTs and SATs, that they wouldn’t be able to get in a traditional camp.
Research has shown that the most important factor in bringing about lasting change is whether or not the parents are involved in the treatment process. Therefore, we highly encourage families to not only to stay up-to-date with their daughter’s journey, but to partake in their own journey of personal growth, as well.
Along with regular phone and video calls, we also host family weekends, where parents from Iowa and all over the country can come visit their daughters and see their development in person. For families who are even more eager to be involved, on-site multi-day seminars are available. Many parents have referenced these seminars as turning points in their lives, and in their relationships with their daughters.
It’s easy to talk about change, but we want to see results. By involving a girl’s family in every step of her journey, we can make sure that parents are growing with their child, and that happy, healthy and emotionally fulfilling familial relationships will ensue as a result.
The Solstice Difference: Choosing Solstice Over Camps For Troubled Girls From Iowa
There are many camps for troubled girls located in or around Iowa, but the Solstice experience isn’t one you’ll find anywhere else.
What makes Solstice so special?
- Gender Specific: Girls and boys have different needs, so why shouldn’t they be treated separately? Our program boasts better results due to our gender specific treatment plans.
- Focus on Internal to External Change: There’s a difference between compliance and real change. Our program focuses on healing our girls from the inside out so they will comply because they want to, not because they feel they have to.
- Intensive Hiring Process: We only hire only the most highly qualified and passionate people to join our team and take on the task of caring for our girls.
- Family-Centered Approach: It’s not enough to just care for our studentswe want to help heal their families, too, and provide tools for building and maintaining healthy relationships going forward.
- Privately owned: Our facility is run by owners who care strongly and deeply for their cause.
- Hero’s Journey: Your daughter’s experience at Solstice is designed to mirror the archetypal Hero’s Journey, which provides her the opportunity to monitor her progression and see how much further she has to go, while also inspiring her to reach the ending.
Located in Utah, just outside of Salt Lake City, our program helps girls from all over the country including Iowa.
Sending your daughter away from home to receive therapeutic treatment might be the best thing you can do for her and your whole family. While at Solstice, you and your teen will have the time to refocus and strengthen your relationship. Her time away from the family gives her the space she needs to work through her challenges.
The unique experience we offer our students makes us stand out, and will not only help your daughter start to heal, but create lasting memories and close relationships as well.
Treatment for Trauma
If your daughter has suffered a traumatic event, Solstice is a great alternative for residents of Iowa who are seeking a summer camp for troubled girls. We are one of the leading trauma treatment programs in the country, and offer therapy for traumas of all types, big and small.
Unfortunately, traditional counselors might not be able to help your daughter outside a clinical setting, such as during school or partaking in other daily activitieswhen she’ll be likely to need guidance the most. The benefit of Solstice is that our counselors are always present to help your daughter not only learn research-backed coping mechanisms, but practice them in real-life settings that she’ll be likely to encounter when she returns home.
Furthermore, we understand that not all traumas are alike. Many of our students have suffered great tragedies, and we’re prepared to help. However, many girls suffer painfully from smaller traumas due to heightened sensitivity or susceptibility to these events. Our team is trained to recognize the signs of trauma, (even if such instances would not be categorized as trauma, historically), and help your daughter move forward.
Who does Solstice help?
Solstice helps Iowa teens in a residential treatment center setting who are struggling with issues similar to those below:
– Disordered Eating
– Adoption/ Attachment Issues
– Asperger’s Disorder
– Impulse Control
– Grief and Loss
– Low Self Esteem
– Self Harm
– Family Dysfunction
– Body Image Issues
– Social Isolation
– Nonverbal Learning Disorder
Resources for Iowa Families Seeking Help
NIMH: The National Institute of Mental Health is an agency that conducts research on mental disorders, and seeks to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses. The site lists information such as statistics about mental health, and scientific studies on various conditions. Furthermore, it provides news about advancements in mental health medical treatments and procedures.
CDC: The Center for Disease Control and Prevention is a government organization with a mental health branch. The CDC spans across specific demographics and settings, and supports the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Their site offers educational materials on mental health as well as data and statistics.
Solstice helps Iowa families from:
Some examples of cities from Iowa which may have families who may be interested in Solstice include: Des Moines Cedar Rapids Davenport Sioux Iowa City Waterloo West Des Moines Ames Council Bluffs Dubuque Ankeny
Solstice Helps Families From Iowa
- Alumni Event Brings Former Students And Families Back To SolsticeFirst Annual Alumni Event Reinforces the Importance Of Solstice In Lives Of Students Solstice West held their First Annual Alumni Event on July 28th & 29th, 2017. This event was held in conjunction with the Parent Seminar. Over 20 Alumni and their families came to this event. Over the event’s two days, alumni... Read more »
- Trauma Treatment: Understanding the Effects and Options AvailableGenerally, when someone thinks of trauma treatment, an image of an injured soldier comes to mind–this leaves out a massive set of people, though. Adolescents can most definitely experience the damaging effects of trauma after an adverse event, whether it be from a natural accident, abuse, or something else. The... Read more »
- Risky Teen Behaviors: Differences Between Positive and Negative RisksThe teenage years are the years in which one develops the desire to fit in. This desire may come with a high cost. During the adolescent years, opportunity and risk seem all the more appealing. A maturational imbalance may prevent teens from good decision-making during this period in their lives... Read more »