An Alternative To Camp For Troubled Girls From Washington: What Makes Solstice Unique ?
One of the top reasons that your daughter will have a better experience at Solstice than a camp for troubled girls from Washington is our devotion to promoting happy and healthy relationships.
Solstice is located in Utah, but we help teens from all over the United States.
Your daughter’s healing won’t be complete unless she has a group of positive, supportive friends, family, and guardians around her. Therefore, her lessons in relationships begin with our staff. We hire only the best of the best to care for and treat our girls since we want our students to grow to trust and love our counselors like family.
It’s important to us that your daughter develop friendships with her peers as well. Through our adventure therapy program, group therapy, and extracurricular activities, our girls often form long-lasting bonds that persist even after returning to their hometowns in Washington.
Finally, we want to help your family heal old wounds and move towards a happy future together. We involve families every step of the way in our students’ journeys, as we know that the most important component in your daughter’s healing process will be the involvement and cooperation of her family.
Lessons don’t need to be taught indoors. In fact, some of our students’ best learning experiences happen during their outdoor excursions. During adventure therapy sessions, your daughter will learn valuable and entertaining outdoor recreation skills she might not get to experience in Washington, such as:
- alpine skiing and snowboarding
- cross country skiing
- rock climbing
- canoeing and kayaking
- white water rafting
These activities might be common enough in ordinary camps for troubled girls, but Solstice turns each activity into a constructive life lesson. Often these activities force girls out of their comfort zones, allowing them to address their anxieties, build self-confidence and develop strong ties with other girls.
The Solstice Difference: Choosing Solstice Over Camps For Troubled Girls From Washington
There are many camps for troubled girls located in or around Washington, but the Solstice experience isn’t one you’ll find anywhere else.
What makes Solstice so special?
- Gender Specific: Girls and boys have different needs, so why shouldn’t they be treated separately? Our program boasts better results due to our gender specific treatment plans.
- Focus on Internal to External Change: There’s a difference between compliance and real change. Our program focuses on healing our girls from the inside out so they will comply because they want to, not because they feel they have to.
- Intensive Hiring Process: We only hire only the most highly qualified and passionate people to join our team and take on the task of caring for our girls.
- Family-Centered Approach: It’s not enough to just care for our studentswe want to help heal their families, too, and provide tools for building and maintaining healthy relationships going forward.
- Privately owned: Our facility is run by owners who care strongly and deeply for their cause.
- Hero’s Journey: Your daughter’s experience at Solstice is designed to mirror the archetypal Hero’s Journey, which provides her the opportunity to monitor her progression and see how much further she has to go, while also inspiring her to reach the ending.
Located in Utah, just outside of Salt Lake City, our program helps girls from all over the country including Washington.
Sending your daughter away from home to receive therapeutic treatment might be the best thing you can do for her and your whole family. While at Solstice, you and your teen will have the time to refocus and strengthen your relationship. Her time away from the family gives her the space she needs to work through her challenges.
The unique experience we offer our students makes us stand out, and will not only help your daughter start to heal, but create lasting memories and close relationships as well.
Treatment for Trauma
If your daughter has suffered a traumatic event, Solstice is a great alternative for residents of Washington who are seeking a summer camp for troubled girls. We are one of the leading trauma treatment programs in the country, and offer therapy for traumas of all types, big and small.
Unfortunately, traditional counselors might not be able to help your daughter outside a clinical setting, such as during school or partaking in other daily activitieswhen she’ll be likely to need guidance the most. The benefit of Solstice is that our counselors are always present to help your daughter not only learn research-backed coping mechanisms, but practice them in real-life settings that she’ll be likely to encounter when she returns home.
Furthermore, we understand that not all traumas are alike. Many of our students have suffered great tragedies, and we’re prepared to help. However, many girls suffer painfully from smaller traumas due to heightened sensitivity or susceptibility to these events. Our team is trained to recognize the signs of trauma, (even if such instances would not be categorized as trauma, historically), and help your daughter move forward.
Resources for Washington Families Seeking Help
Mental Health First Aid: Mental Health First Aid is an eight-hour course that teaches participants how to identify, understand and respond to signs of mental illness and substance use disorders. The program has educated over 1 million people across the country, and boasts 11,800 instructors. The site also offers news about mental health advancements and topics of interest.
NIMH: The National Institute of Mental Health is an agency that conducts research on mental disorders, and seeks to transform the understanding and treatment of mental illnesses. The site lists information such as statistics about mental health, and scientific studies on various conditions. Furthermore, it provides news about advancements in mental health medical treatments and procedures.
Who does Solstice help?
Solstice helps Washington teens in a residential treatment center setting who are struggling with issues similar to those below:
– Grief and Loss
– Low Self Esteem
– Adoption/ Attachment Issues
– Impulse Control
– Family Dysfunction
– Disordered Eating
– Body Image Issues
– Social Isolation
– Self Harm
– Nonverbal Learning Disorder
– Asperger’s Disorder
Solstice helps Washington families from:
Some examples of cities from Washington which may have families who may be interested in Solstice include: Seattle Spokane Tacoma Vancouver Bellevue Kent Everett Renton Federal Way Yakima Spokane Valley Kirkland Bellingham Kennewick Auburn Pasco Marysville Lakewood Redmond Shoreline Richland Sammamish Burien
Solstice Helps Families From Washington
- New Study Sheds Light on Help for Post-Traumatic Stress in TeensWhile help for post-traumatic stress in teens is becoming more accessible, there’s still much we don’t understand about the disorder and how it works. In a new study, researchers believe they’ve discovered why some people develop PTSD and others don’t: molecular changes. There’s been research on how our genes and... Read more »
- College Prepared: Solstice Students Earn Higher Scores Across the BoardAt Solstice, education is a huge part of our programming. We understand that most of the girls that come in our doors are college-bound; therefore, we strive to provide them with excellent academic opportunities. We’ve looked at the last five years of ACT scores from Solstice students and compared it... Read more »
- Father-Daughter Trip to Moab Brings Families Closer TogetherWhat happened when seven boisterous dads & daughters joined with a team of creative & committed folks from Solstice RTC West and Aspect Adventure in Moab for a three day Father-Child Retreat this last September? My Answer: Nothing Short of Magic. Not the Copperfield stuff nor the “warm fuzzy” of hallmark cards &... Read more »