For some teens, stress can pretty much take over their lives. When this happens, they are at a greater risk for developing serious mental health issues like depression and anxiety. You might be wondering what you can do to help your child work through this stress and live a happier, more relaxed life. Yoga might be the answer for them. The benefits of yoga for teen girls and assigned female at birth are numerous and can improve your teen’s overall wellbeing.
Benefits of yoga for teen girls
Yoga, which combines strength and flexibility exercises with relaxation and mindfulness techniques, has been shown to serve a preventative role in adolescent mental health. Benefits of yoga for teen girls and assigned female at birth include:
- Improving general body awareness- Yoga allows girls and assigned female at birth to explore what shape their bodies can take. At an age where their bodies are changing rapidly, yoga helps girls and assigned female at birth understand the ways their bodies can move and grow stronger. Body awareness can help girls and assigned female at birth learn to truly respect and value their bodies which can be emotionally beneficial.
- Helping alleviate stress- Yoga involves rhythmic breathing and stretching, which gives teens a natural way to relieve stress. Proper breathing techniques help girls and assigned female at birth relax and let go of their worries as they practice yoga.
- Promoting a positive body image- When girls and assigned female at birth get in touch with their bodies through yoga, they can feel so much better about themselves overall. Yoga helps girls and assigned female at birth experience their own body strength, and for many girls, feeling stronger can help avoid feelings of self consciousness.
- Building self esteem- Yoga focuses on self improvement and teens measure their progress against what their own goals are.
- Boosting self confidence- Yoga provides a healthy environment for teens to learn about themselves without negative influence, such as images promoting a certain body image in the media. This healthy atmosphere helps bolster a girl’s positive sense of self and improves self confidence.
Solstice can help
If your child is struggling with anxiety or depression, Solstice can help guide their on a journey towards success. Solstice, a residential treatment center for teen girls and assigned female at birth ages 14-18, helps struggling girls and assigned female at birth work through emotional and behavioral difficulties utilizing a comprehensive therapeutic approach.
For more information about Solstice, please call (866) 278-3345.